About Chris Placitella
Christopher M. Placitella
Attorney, Cohen, Placitella and Roth
127 Maple Avenue
Red Bank, New Jersey 07701
Phone: (732) 747-9003
Fax: (732) 747-9004
Cell: (732) 423-7559
One of the country’s leading legal authorities on mesothelioma, asbestos related diseases, and toxic torts, Christopher Placitella has been recognized by his peers, along with CPR’s other senior partners, as one of the Best Lawyers in America.
Chris has an award winning reputation within both the legal and non legal community for his commitment to those who have been harmed due to the wrongful conduct of others.
Participation in Landmark Cases:
Chris Placitella has a well deserved reputation for participating in a number of crucial landmark cases, many of which were, and still are, unprecedented. Examples include:
* Serving as a key member of the legal team representing the State of New Jersey against the tobacco industry and helped achieve the largest settlement of any kind in the history of New Jersey totaling $7.6 billion dollars.
* Helping negotiate what is believed to be the largest settlement in the nation involving a single company in a product liability case. The $3.75 billion-dollar settlement involved the diet drugs Pondimin and Redux.
* Serving as trial counsel in the largest consolidated asbestos trial in New York City history, as well as obtained the largest punitive damage verdict against an asbestos company in New Jersey’s history.
* Serving as one of the lead trial counsel in the largest environmental tort settlement on behalf of individuals in New Jersey history to $38.5 million dollars.
* The “Gold Medal”, the highest award that can be bestowed on a New Jersey trial attorney by his peers for his dedication in fighting for the rights of victims of environmental pollution.
* The “Pioneer Award” by Consumers for Civil Justice (New Jersey’s largest consumer advocacy organization) for his fight for the rights of New Jersey consumers and tort victims.
* The Meritorious Service Award” presented by the New Jersey White Lung Association for his fight for the rights of asbestos victims.
* Best Lawyers in America.
* The Top Toxic & Mass Tort Lawyer in NJ by the National Law Journal
* Nominated as National “Trial Lawyer of the Year” for his work in representing lead poisoned children.
Mr. Placitella is involved in volunteering his time to numerous consumer advocacy groups to fight for the rights of people who suffered because of corporate misconduct. Board and association service include:
* National Board of Trial Lawyers for Public Justice
* Counsel to Consumers for Civil Justice
* Vice President of the New Jersey Public Interest Law Center
* Advisor to Workplace Environmental Counsel
* Former President, New Jersey Trial Lawyers (ATLA-NJ)
* Member, Steering Committee for National, Multi-District Asbestos Litigation
* Special Counsel to all State Court Litigants in the National Diet Drug Litigation
* Class Counsel, Johns Manville Class Action Suit
* Class Counsel, New Jersey Diet Drug Litigation
* Member, Steering Committee for National 23, Multi-District TMJ litigation
* Member, Steering Committee for National Rezulin Litigation
* Lead Counsel for NJ State Wide Propulsid Litigation,
* New Jersey and U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey, 1981;
* New York, U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, 1981
* J.D., Syracuse College of Law, cum laude (Law Review and Legal Honor Society), 1981
* B.S., Fordham University, summa cum laude, 1978