Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Can Cause Brain Injuries
By: CPR @ Nov 18, 2015
A new article recently released by Philly.com reveals some shocking facts about the number of carbon monoxide-related incidents that have occurred in the city in recent months. To be sure, the article cites data provided by the Philadelphia Fire Department, which reports that so far in the year 2015 alone, the fire department has responded to 340 carbon monoxide incidents, nearly 100 more than it responded to the previous year. If you or a loved one has been harmed by carbon monoxide poisoning or has incurred a brain injury from carbon monoxide gas, you may have a claim for damages – a consultation with a personal injury attorney can help you to learn more.
Why the Increase in Carbon Monoxide Incidents?
The Philadelphia Fire Department has stated that the number of carbon monoxide-related incidents is up 41 percent over the last year, and that number is expected to increase as the coldest months of the year quickly approach. The exact reasons for the increase in carbon monoxide-related calls to the fire department remains unclear; however, Executive Fire Chief Clifford Gilliam said that it may be due to more public awareness about the colorless, odorless gas, causing more people to take action to call in a worry before it is too late.
Fortunately, no one has died from carbon monoxide poisoning in Philadelphia for two years. The new law, which requires all one and two-family homes, as well as all apartment buildings, to have carbon monoxide detectors will hopefully aid in keeping the fatality number low.
The Dangers of Carbon Monoxide
Heat-producing appliances usually release carbon monoxide. Common sources of carbon monoxide gas in the average home or apartment building, according to the Minnesota Department of Health, include:
- Gas stoves;
- Wood stoves;
- Clothes dryers;
- Motor vehicles; and
Improper ventilations, breaks or leaks in pipes, defective pilot lights, and more can all lead to carbon monoxide gas in the home in unsafe levels.
The dangers associated with carbon monoxide poisoning are very real, and can be very severe. Usually, the symptoms begin with a headache, dizziness, fatigue, and a general feeling of poor health and lethargy. Unfortunately, many people ignore these symptoms, earning carbon monoxide poisoning the title of the “silent killer.” Prolonged exposure to carbon monoxide gas can lead to severe and permanent brain injury, or even death.
Make Sure You Have a Working Carbon Monoxide Detector in Your Home
To reduce your risk of being exposed to carbon monoxide and experiencing any of the dangerous side effects, make sure that your home as a working carbon monoxide detector. If you live in an apartment building in Philadelphia, your apartment must, per the law, have a working carbon monoxide detector within 15 feet of every sleeping area. If it does not, you should request one from your landlord immediately.
When Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Causes a Brain Injury or Death
Carbon monoxide poisoning is preventable. If carbon monoxide poisoning has caused a brain injury or death to a loved one, you may have the right to legal recourse. This is especially true if the injury was a result of defective equipment or negligence on the part of a landlord.
If you think that you may have a claim, do not wait to call the experienced Philadelphia personal injury attorneys at Cohen, Placitella & Roth, P.C. today. You can reach our offices now for a free consultation at (215) 567-3500.
Brought to you by: