Cohen/Placitella/Roth reach the largest settlement listed in the Top Pennsylvania Verdicts & Settlements of 2013
By: chris.placitella @ May 07, 2014
The largest settlement of the year was for $36 Million, during an appeal of a favorable administrative award, for the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania against a coal mining company. The compensation covered costs of repair and restoration of the Ryerson State Park dam and recreational lake destroyed by underground mine subsidence movement.
Cohen, Placitella & Roth lawyers also achieved the following results:
- · $100 Million plus fund to compensate for damages caused tainted steroid medication vials compounded by the New England Compounding Company (NECC) that led to a national fungal meningitis epidemic.
- · $25 million settlement of national class action securities case against mutual fund of major financial institution where class members participating in the settlement recovered over 60 percent of their market losses.
- · $15.2 Million pending nationwide consumer class action settlement against national car rental and electronic toll collection companies for charging car rental customers improperly disclosed administration fees and up-charged tolls.
- · $9 Million settlement representing almost 65 percent recovery of the losses sustained by a pension fund against a major financial institution in a stand-alone “opt-out” suit alleging violations of federal and state securities laws.
- · $ 4.5 Million confidential settlement in a professional negligence case against medical providers based on claims of a substandard emergency response.
- $4.5 Million settlement for the daughter and the wife of boiler makers who was diagnosed with mesothelioma after being exposed to asbestos fibers that her father and husband brought home on their work clothes.
- $4.5 Million confidential settlement of a products liability case involving motor vehicle crashworthiness.
- $3.7 Million settlement for a residential electrician who was exposed to asbestos on the job and was diagnosed with mesothelioma.
- $3 Million confidential settlement in a medical negligence case against medical providers based on a claim of substandard treatment of an aggressive infection.
- $3 Million verdict in an explosion that killed a warehouse worker against the firm that inspected and certified a compressed gas cylinder which was internally corroded.
- $2.4 Million verdict for a construction worker employed by a subcontractor against a utility company/owner for its failure to properly supervise a job site that it controlled.
The attorneys at Cohen, Placitella and Roth have won millions of dollars for many of their clients through settlements and verdicts. If you’ve been wronged and feel you may be entitled to compensation, contact us today.
Brought to you by: